Amy M. Stewart
Intuitive. Strategic. Relentless.
“She gets it. When you work with Amy, you will understand why.”
Amy is the woman you want on your team. She’s intuitive, strategic, and relentless. What sets Amy apart from other attorneys are the skills she garnered from her experiences in the athletic world. Winning is in her blood – she played college basketball at Wake Forest and coached Division I basketball at her alma mater and Tulane University before shifting her focus to wins in the courtroom. Amy’s unique background helps her bring a dignified and measured aggressiveness and competitive nature to her legal practice.
Based on her experience building winning teams, Amy has an innate ability to connect with clients. By listening to her clients, Amy identifies and understands the critical success factors before developing a game plan—what does a “win” look like for this legal dispute. Amy never gives up on meeting her client’s objectives and uses her intellect and intuition to alter the game plan when issues arise. Business clients want Amy leading and representing their interests as their outside legal counsel. Opposing counsel respects her legal acumen and her tenaciousness.
Amy has expertise in resolving contract disputes, business torts, investigations, products liability, ERISA, employment, and labor matters. In addition to her civil trial experience representing companies on the Fortune 100 list to startups, Amy is a certified Title IX Investigator by the Association of Title IX Administrators and a certified Arbitrator with the AAA, presiding over commercial, construction, and employment matters. Amy is also certified as a FINRA arbitrator and was inducted into the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals.
You can contact Amy directly at 469.607.2311 or by email at email@example.com.
Some of Amy’s Successful Actions in this Area
- Represents international food service provider in employment related arbitrations across the country.
- Represents international oil manufacturer in labor disputes.
- Defended international manufacturer of medical devices in multi-district product liability litigation.
- Defends national insurer in bad faith lawsuits across the State of Texas.
- Defended insurer in ERISA and bad faith lawsuits.
- Defended major retailer in premise liability and negligence matter which was successfully resolved through mediation.
- Defended national manufacturer in multi-million dollar property damage and personal injury lawsuit in Virginia.
- Defended international chemical manufacturer in multi-million dollar property damage and personal injury lawsuits in Minnesota and South Carolina.
- Represented international chemical manufacturer in a fiduciary duty and negligence action against former legal counsel.
- Represented national window manufacturer against property damage and personal injury claims.
- Represents national retailers in premise liability and negligence actions.
- Represents insurers and insureds against personal injury lawsuits.
- Represented regional bank in lawsuit arising from fraud and breach of fiduciary duty related claims from flood damage insurance coverage to real property.
- Represented international manufacturer of truck tractor engines in several wrongful death actions in federal and state courts across Texas.
- Represented various financial institutions in wrongful foreclosure and breach of promissory note actions. Most matters were resolved via motions for summary judgment or alternative dispute resolution.
- Represented Fortune 500 food industry clients in cases involving claims of sexual harassment, race, national origin, and disability discrimination with successful outcomes.
In the News
- Winning On The Court & In The Courtroom with Amy M. Stewart – She Built It – 4/2021
- Virtual Proceedings Playbook: A Q&A With Stewart Law Group’s Amy M. Stewart – Texas Lawyer – 4/2021
- Fail Fast, Get Up and Go – 17Twenty – 4/2021
- Virtual Litigation with Pioneering Trial Attorney, Amy M. Stewart – Mediate Now – 3/2021
- All-Star Female Team Release Virtual Proceedings Playbook – Attorney at Law Magazine – 3/2021
- Top 10 Commercial Litigation Moments of 2020 – The Texas Lawbook – 1/2021
- Lawyers Fine-Tune Virtual Court Setups, Skills for Post-Pandemic – Bloomberg Law – 12/2020
- Amy M. Stewart Named to Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers – Attorney at Law Magazine – 12/2020
- Texas Lawyer Newsmakers: Amy M. Stewart Receives Trailblazer of the Year Award – Texas Lawyer – 12/2020
- Amy M. Stewart’s ‘Rona Pep Talk Series Recognized with DBA Presidential Citation – Attorney at Law Magazine – 11/2020
- Amy M. Stewart Honored with TMCP’s Trailblazer of the Year Award – Attorney at Law Magazine – 10/2020
- Amy M. Stewart Named to Super Lawyers List for Fifth Straight Year – Attorney at Law Magazine – 10/2020
- ThemeVision Focus with Trisha Volpe – ThemeVision LLC – 9/2020
- Remarkable Women: Attorney Considers Future of Justice – People Newspapers – 8/2020
- Stewart Law Group Creates New ‘Norm’ with First Zoom Summary Jury Trial – Attorney at Law Magazine – 7/2020
- Collin County courts conduct state’s first Zoom summary jury trial – Allen American – 7/2020
- Conversations on Life, Leadership & Law – Legal Grounds – 7/2020
- Marketing, Leadership, Sales – Lawyer Lifestyle Podcast – 7/2020
- First Virtual Trial: No Dogs, No Kids, No Jury Strikes – The Texas Lawbook – 5/2020
- Former basketball player and coach calls right play in founding her own DFW firm – Dallas Business Journal – 2/2019
- Fierce Female: Minority Champion Amy Stewart Elected to Dallas Bar Association Board of Directors – Advocate – 1/2019
- Amy M. Stewart Elected to Dallas Bar Association Board – Attorney at Law Magazine – 1/2019
- Meet the 2019 Minority Business Leader Awards Honorees – Dallas Business Journal – 1/2019
- Stewart Law Group Offers Free Workshop – The Park Cities People – 1/2019
- This Lawyer’s Got Game – Advocate – 11/2018
- A tale of two Amys: Dallas attorneys’ shared name causes some professional confusion – The Dallas Morning News – 12/2015
- Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2021)
- Texas Minority Counsel Program Trailblazer of the Year (2020)
- Dallas Bar Association’s Presidential Citation (2020)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers (2015-2020)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100 (2020)
- America’s Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys (2020)
- Dallas Bar Association’s Presidential Citation (2019)
- American Bar Association 100 Women Who Inspire Us Award (2019)
- Super Lawyers Top 50 Lawyers (2019)
- Dallas Business Journal Minority Business Owner Award (2019)
- D Magazine’s Best Lawyers Award (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell, Client Champion Gold Award (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating, Peer Rated Highest Level of Professional (2017 – present)
- Texas Diversity Council Top Women Attorney Award (2017)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014 – 2015)
- Top Attorneys in Texas, Texas Monthly (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2015)
- ABA’s Outstanding Subcommittee Chair Award for the Business Torts Subcommittee (2013)
Education and Certifications
J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, 2006
- Law Review
- Associate Editor, 2005-06
B. A., Speech Communication, Wake Forest University, 1994
- Team Captain, Women’s Basketball Team, 1994
- Academic All American, Black Collegian Magazine, 1994
American Arbitrator Association
- Certified Arbitrator handling Commercial, Construction, and Employment disputes
Association of Title IX Administrators
- Civil Rights Investigator Level One
Prior Work Experience
- Partner, Estes Thorne & Carr, PLLC
- Senior Associate, White & Wiggins, LLP
- Associate, Bickel & Brewer
- Associate, Cox Smith
- Associate, Markland Hanley, Dallas
- Judicial Extern for Honorable Johnnie B. Rawlinson, United States District Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2005)
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Affiliations, Associations, and Bar Activities
- Managing Director, ABA Litigation Section, 2020 – Present
- Council Member, ABA Litigation Section, 2019 – 2021
- Co-Chair, ABA Litigation Section Professional Success Summit, 2018
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Litigation Section Annual Meeting, 2017
- Co-Chair, ABA’s Business Torts and Unfair Competition Committee, 2011 – 2014
- ABA Litigation Section, Outstanding Subcommittee Chair for the Business Torts Committee Award Recipient, 2013
- Certified Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association and FINRA, 2017 – Present
- Inducted into the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, 2020 – Present
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Texas Court Advisory Committee, 2020 – Present
- Barrister, Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, 2019 – Present
- Board Member, Dallas Bar Association, 2018 – Present
- Board Member, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, 2020 – Present
- Council Member, State Bar of Texas Litigation Council, 2011 – 2018
- Board Secretary, NEW Roundtable, a Consortium of African-American Female Attorneys, 2021
- Member, National Black Lawyers Top 100, 2020
- Board of Directors, Educational First Steps, 2021
- Auxiliary Board Member, The Salvation Army
- Participant, Bridging the Gap Food Program, Fellowship Bible Church (2012- Present)
- Panelist, Celebrating Our Freedoms: Civil Rights and Civic Responsibilities, Dallas Independent School District (2011)
- Co-coordinator, ABA Section of Litigation, Woman Advocate Expo which collected and donated apparel to the Dress for Success Charity that empowers low-income women who are struggling to secure and retain employment (2011)
- Moderator, Dallas Bar Association ‘Rona Pep Talks – 03/2020 – Present
- Panelist, American Bar Association, 2021 Litigation Section Annual Conference – 05/2021
- Panelist, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, 10 Go to Moves for Client Depositions – 04/2021
- Panelist, Dallas Bar Association Construction Law Section, HUB/WMBE Requirements – 04/2021
- Panelist, Houston Bar Association ADR Section, Summary Jury Trials – 03/2021
- Panelist, Construction Law Foundation of Texas Conference, Building Diversity & Demolishing Implicit Bias – 03/2021
- Moderator, Association of Corporate Counsel DFW, DEI Initiatives That Work – 02/2021
- Course Director & Panelist, Texas Bar CLE, Damages in Civil Litigation Course – 02/2021
- Panelist, Texas Bar CLE, Litigation Update Institute 2021 Course – 01/2021
- Moderator, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers with Chief Justice Carolyn Wright (Ret’d.) – 12/2020
- Panelist, Austin Bar Association, Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook Seminar – 11/2020
- Panelist, American Bar Association, Women in Insurance Network (WIN) – 11/2020
- Panelist, Virtual Trials and Tribulations – 10/2020
- Panelist, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Game Time: The Preparation & Challenges with Online Legal Proceedings – 10/2020
- Co-Chair & Panelist, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Deposition Boot Camp – 09/2020
- Panelist, NAMWOLF, Facilitating a Virtual Trial in a Post Pandemic World – 09/2020
- Panelist, National Employment Law Council, Practical Guide to Remote Trials, Depositions, and Mediations – 09/2020
- Panelist, Orange County Bar Association, Trial and Appellate Practice in a Virtual World – 08/2020
- Panelist, The Institutes CPCU Society, Virtual I-Day – 08/2020
- Panelist, American Bar Association, Virtual Trials: Lessons from the Room Where it Happened – 08/2020
- Panelist, Texas Bar CLE, Advanced Personal Injury Law Course – 08/2020
- Panelist, American Bar Association, Small Firm. Big Impact – 08/2020
- Panelist, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Huddle Up: Preparing Difficult Witnesses For Depo and Trial – 08/2020
- Moderator, Dallas Bar Association, Town Hall – 07/2020
- Panelist, American Bar Association, Trials and Hearings in the COVID Pandemic Era – 07/2020
- Moderator, Dallas Bar Association, Minority Clerkship Luncheon – 07/2020
- Panelist, NAMWOLF, Lessons Learned from the first Zoom trial – 07/2020
- Panelist, Association of Corporate Counsel DFW, Getting on & Staying on the Ship of Allyship – 06/2020
- Panelist, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Re-Thinking Business Development During COVID – 06/2020
- Panelist, Texas Lawbook & Association of Corporate Counsel DFW, Racism, Law Enforcement and the Role of Corporate Lawyers – 06/2020
- Panelist, Dallas Bar Association, Slam Dunk: Making the Most out of Your Clerkship – 06/2020
- Panelist, Judy Hoberman, Panel of Exceptional Leading Women – 06/2020
- Who Can Find a Virtuous Woman: The Justices of Texas’ Fourth Court of Appeals Share Their Experiences on the Bench, ABA Corporate Counsel CLE (2019)
- Deposition of the Villain in a P.I. Case, State Bar of Texas 35TH Annual Advanced Personal Injury Course (2019)
- Cultivating Resilience, Keynote Speaker, 2019 Lez Talks Conference
- Getting Into the Mind of Jurors: What They Think May Surprise You – American Bar Association Women in Litigation Meeting (2019)
- Influence and Persuasion in Leadership, 2018 ACC Annual Meeting Foundation Breakfast, October 2018
- CAREER GAME CHANGERS: Courage, Vulnerability, and Persistence, Dallas Bar Association WE Lead Program, September 2018
- Hot Topics in Insurance, 2018 Advanced In house Counsel Course, August 2018
- Moderator, In House Counsel Panel at ABA Employment and Labor Relations Inaugural Regional Meeting – 09/17
- Dealing With Difficult Witnesses: Yours and Theirs – ABA Section of Litigation – Annual Conference, New Orleans – 04/2015 – Author and Presenter
- Can I Get a Witness? An Overview of Practical Tips, Pitfalls, and Preparation for Corporate Representative Depositions under Rule 30(b)(6) – ABA Section of Litigation – Annual Conference, New Orleans – 04/2015 – Author and Presenter
- Co-author and Presenter, Business and Commercial Law Update, State Bar of Texas Section of Litigation – 30th Annual Litigation Update Institute – 01/2014
- Panelist, Lean In For Lawyers – ABA Section of Litigation Annual Convention – 01/2014
- Moderator, Why Diversity Matters in Rainmaking – ABA Section of Litigation Annual Convention – 01/2013
- Panelist, When Can a Breach of Contract Be a Tort and What is the Difference? – ABA Corporate Counsel CLE Seminar – 01/2012
- Knowing How to Lead: Retired Chief Justice Carolyn Wright discusses making a difference – Texas Bar Journal – 3/2021
- “All Is Lost?: High Hurdles To Establishing Lost Profits Damages At Trial” – 2019 State Bar of Texas 11th Annual Damages in Civil Litigation
- “Be Aware of Your Blind Side: A Game Plan for Dealing with Implicit Bias” – American Bar Association’s The Woman Advocate Newsletter – Spring 2019, Vol. 25, Issue 3
- Clearing the Hurdles of Admissibility for Social Media Evidence, ABA GPSolo Magazine November/December 2018 – Article
- “The Girlfriend’s Guide to Negotiating: Stop Self-Sabotaging Behaviors that Derail Your Path to Success[.]” ABA Section of Litigation, Woman Advocate Committee Newsletter Fall 2017 Volume 23, Issue 1 – Article
- Chapter Author, Negotiating Fair Compensation in the book Her Story: Lessons in Success From Lawyers Who Live It
- Expert Case Law Review – Texas Business Litigation Journal, Vol. 36, Number 4 – 10/2014
- Fifth Circuit Makes Erie Guess on New Anti-SLAPP Statute’s Commercial Speech Exemption – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Developments – 5/2014
- Texas Court of Appeals Holds that a Former Employer’s Accusations that Employee Stole Trade Secrets is Defamatory Per Se – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Developments – 11/2012
- Fifth Circuit Looks at Claims Handling v. Procurement – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Developments – 5/2012
- Texas Court of Appeals Refuses to Extend Architect’s Contractual Duty to Protect Third Parties – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Development – 11/2011
- Standard Merger Clause Does Not Preclude Misrepresentation – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Development – 10/2011
- Using Virtual Data Rooms to Your Advantage – ABA Section of Litigation Business Torts News and Development – 4/2010
- Expert Case Law Review – Texas Business Litigation Journal – 2009-2012