Determined. Innovative. Results Driven.
Semaj is an empathetic advocate who will zealously fight in your defense. She is known for being goal-oriented and charismatic. Her thirst for success allows her to take on any case confidently, even in the most challenging situations. She will undoubtedly spend as much time as it takes to meet with clients, understand their needs, and break down the complex legal process.
Semaj focuses on outstanding client service when conducting workplace investigations and advising business clients on various labor and employment matters, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act of 2023, the Texas Labor Code, and others. In addition, she offers poise, passion, and persistence tailored to each client’s needs as she leverages her experience in litigation, arbitration, mediation, and government agency proceedings, including before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Texas Workforce Commission.
Born in Fort Worth and raised in Arlington, Semaj earned her law degree from the University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law. Semaj’s academic success equipped her to become a first-generation college graduate and a first-generation Doctor of Jurisprudence. Before becoming a Doctor of Jurisprudence, Semaj attended the University of North Texas in Denton. She obtained her bachelor’s degree while working full-time for a Fortune 500 Company. Her required employment, alongside her academic achievements, shows her commitment and dedication to any task and her grit to continue to overcome all obstacles placed in her way. In addition to Semaj’s educational training and her 11 years of experience in Corporate America, Semaj provides an invaluable entrepreneurial skillset that allows her to navigate and resolve any client’s issues efficiently.
You can contact Semaj directly at 469-607-2300 Ext. 100 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Semaj is a beautiful person inside and out. Her outgoing personality and her love for Christ sets her apart from her peers. Her energy radiates throughout any room she enters. She will surely be an asset to everyone and everything she touches!” – Sheria Linnear
“Semaj has an astounding passion for any job that she upholds. Her compassion for people and willingness to listen is an admirable quality. She has great communication skills, good judgment, and her knowledge of the law exceeds expectations.” – Krystal Pier-Gate
“I’ve worked with Semaj in many instances and have never been disappointed. She is extremely thorough and diligent and proceeds with an unmatched level of grace and integrity. I am more than honored to recommend her services at every opportunity possible.” – Deberina Atkinson
“Semaj is a great leader and a deep thinker. She provides excellent insight and strategic thought to any assignment she undertakes. She is a true servant, and her humility is to be admired.” – Tammy Dozier
“Semaj has changed my life more than she knows! She is a great listener and pays attention to detail. She is well-rounded and passionate about her craft. What I love about her the most is that she exemplifies what it means to be a servant leader.” – Candace Richmond
“Semaj is well on her way to being a legal powerhouse and great credit to the profession. During my three years of attending law school with her, she was the epitome of kindness, intelligence, and problem-solving while being a full-time mother. There is no one I would rather have advocated for me, nor is there anyone I would dread more to have to face off against in a trial court than Semaj.” – Dak Cohen
“Resiliency, determination, and passion all describe the work ethic exuded by Semaj Garrett. Semaj is an empowered advocate for the clients she serves and infuses her raw authenticity into the work she does for people in general. She is a mighty force and an asset in every capacity.” – M. Ezell
“Mrs. Garrett is an amazing mom who can amazingly multitask her duties of motherhood, being a wife, studying and researching the law. Being this well rounded will greatly benefit her future clients.” – K. Williams
“Semaj is diligent.” – B. Johnson
“Semaj is the light to any room she walks in, which makes her networking skills in the legal field superb. She makes any person feel welcome. I can’t help but admire her tenacity. If you give her a task, she takes ownership of it and finishes it in a timely manner. She expresses empathy when needed and advocates fiercely.” – L. Duncan
“Semaj is one of a kind. She has always gone above and beyond in everything that she does. Her determination and pure grit can’t be matched.” – B. Jones
“Semaj is a very loyal and hardworking individual who prides herself on being the best version of herself. Her attitude is infectious, and her joy makes everyone around her feel loved. She cares deeply for her community and those around her.” – M. Hall
“Semaj has the ability to command a room with confidence and make those around her feel valued and appreciated. She is impressively thorough and knows how to solve complex problems with precision and detail. Her energy and passion make her an invaluable asset to the firm.” – D. Lee
“Semaj is a gem to know. She is so very generous, driven, and uplifting. Her promptness and ability to execute meticulously are impeccable. The leadership skill set she ascertains makes her tremendously dependable and trustworthy. Everyone should have a Semaj in their lives.” – Angela H.
“Semaj’s love for the uplifting community is evident in her dedication to volunteerism. She consistently puts her heart and effort into everything she dedicates herself to. A praying woman, educated, fierce in her actions, and a beautiful spirit.” – Ericka Carter
“When I first met Semaj 9 years ago, I knew of her before we met. Her positive attitude towards any situation is contagious. Semaj is the type of person you can count on to keep a cool head in a stressful situation. I have watched her grow and mature more and more since I’ve known her. She is very confident and tough and can complete any tasks given to her to accomplish.” – Sha Seabrooks
“Semaj is very methodical in her thinking. She plans down to the very last detail. She is extremely motivating and a team player.” – Alicia
“Semaj has been an excellent source of legal wisdom, helping me to interpret the legalese of court documents such as divorce court orders, petitions, and state requirements regarding family law. She uses her expertise to guide and provide legal wisdom that can transform the outcomes of legal issues. I greatly appreciate all she has done for my family.” – Daeja L. Cannon-Boateng
“Semaj is a dedicated professional who leads with compassion and empathy. She is meticulous with the details that can impact her clients’ lives and delivers an experience that is incredible.” – Theo Tone
“Semaj always shows initiative in developing new ways of thinking to improve projects or company performance. I have personally seen her positively contribute to the overall performance of the company through consistent and high-quality work. Truly a pleasure to work with.” – K. Bridges M. Ed
“Semaj is an over comer! She has risen against every challenge placed in front of her! She’s tenacious, and I’m so proud of her, and I know she will succeed in anything she puts her mind to!” – Nikki G.
“Semaj is a passionate and dedicated individual. She strives for excellence in all she does, and her attentiveness gives you comfort.” – Alishia
“At her core, Semaj demonstrates a purposeful approach to service and a genuine desire to help those in need. Semaj is a strong leader with a proven track record of success, determination, and empathy.” – Chad Michael LeMaire
“Semaj is one of the hardest working people I know. She sets her sights on something and will achieve it. If her sight is solving your problem, you can consider your problem gone!” – Amelia
“An active listener and a critical thinker, Semaj provides honest feedback and is trustworthy. When faced with challenges, she remains determined to overcome setbacks; confident to achieve the objective. Humbly grounded, Semaj is relatable and an effective communicator.” – LonNita
“Semaj is extremely diligent and earnest in completing tasks with excellence. She is passionate, consistent, and very well-rounded. When partnering with Semaj, you are guaranteed to have a strong and steadfast advocate!” – Brittany Johnson
“Semaj is honest, detailed-oriented, professional, and efficient. All attributes that make a great attorney. However, what makes her so amazing is that she is a stand-up person. I could not have asked for a better person to provide legal assistance. Semaj is a go-getter, so you can be sure that she will tackle any obstacle that comes her way with grace. Semaj has a genuine love for helping others, so if you are looking for someone that is going to take the time to get to know you and assist in the best way possible with your cases, look no further; Semaj is your woman!” – Tashia
“Semaj is one of the most honest and transparent women I know. She always exhibits great leadership in her community, business, and personal life. She is unstoppable at whatever she sets out to accomplish and always gives 100%. She is the best of the best.” – Pamela Williams
“Mrs. Garrett is an exceptional advocate and leader. Her grit and determination set her apart, as she always goes above and beyond in every endeavor she pursues. Her ability to strategically navigate complex situations is what will make her a great asset to any team.” – Veronica Carroll
“Semaj is an astute, diligent, and ethical advocate who truly commits to everything she has in any role she takes on. She is the person you want on your team.” – Scherron Richard
“Semaj Garr is simply a great person to have in your corner. She fights to the end for anything she believes in!”
“Semaj Garrett is a very honest and direct person. She always believes in doing the right thing. She prides herself on integrity, love, and goodwill for all.”
“I can honestly say Semaj Garrett is a hard worker with the dedication of someone who knows no fear when it comes to accomplishing her goals! She is very detailed and organized with any and everything that she strategizes; with those traits, I know she will be a great leader with any role she holds.”
“Semaj possesses exceptional organizational skills. She has the natural ability to analyze deficiencies in systems/operations and fine-tune any process to make it work efficiently. She’s a team player and always makes sure that she has a clear understanding of the goal before she strategizes and uses effective methods to help the team successfully attain that goal. Semaj always operates with integrity and uses her keen sense of self-awareness to critique herself. Her pleasant personality and welcoming spirit are what sets her apart from any other hardworking individual. She connects with people very well; she’s relatable and always finds a way to bring the best out of people!”
“Semaj is a winner and can navigate you through any situation; she provides wonderful advice and will always get the job done without hesitation. Semaj is trustworthy and loyal.”
“Semaj has excelled in everything she has sought after. She is persistent, never giving way to excuses or failure. Her tenacity encourages those around her and keeps her climbing above her peers.” – Loriell
“Semaj is a devoted attorney, nurturing mother, and wife who embodies integrity and great ethics and will move mountains for her clients. Semaj delivers results! She is knowledgeable, balanced, fair, and favored! Semaj has a way of serving with empowerment and humor and seeks the truth with finesse and class. After talking to Semaj, one will walk away from a conversation feeling optimistic and motivated.” – Lesha Crutchfield
“Semaj is a very passionate and wonderful individual. You won’t find someone who cares more or works harder for other people. If you’re looking for a person who goes above and beyond, then look no further than Semaj.” – James Metcalf
“Compassion, Assertiveness, and Advocacy are three qualities that not only describe Semaj but coincide with what compels the work of an exceptional attorney. Semaj empathizes with the misfortunes of others and is firm in her methods for acquiring the knowledge and facts of anyone’s personal situation in order to step in, support, and advise based solely on discernment and truth. She follows through on the promises she makes and never overcommits because she understands that surety and decisiveness are the perfect balance in making sure she can arrive at her best!” – Chasity Calhoun
“Semaj is personable and friendly, with the soft skills to relate to anyone. She makes people feel heard and included, especially in professional settings.” – Christine
“Semaj Garrett is many things, but in narrowing down some of her top qualities, I’d say she’s passionate, fierce, hardworking, and knowledgeable. When Semaj sets her mind to something, she wastes no time getting it done, and it’s always done with excellence. Her sound advice, her heart for people, and her love of the law is why she’s an attorney you can place your faith and trust in.” – Key’Andrea Davis
“Semaj is passionate and persistent personified. As a natural-born servant leader with excellent litigation ability and a heart that has always advocated for right, she embodies the perfect approach to life & legality!” – S.A
“Semaj is excellent at prioritizing and knows how to put first things first. She will not delay in handling your legal issue. She is dedicated to the task at hand and always prepared for the unexpected.” – Rosalyn
“Semaj is an amazing exceptional leader who can handle any challenge gracefully and elegantly. Her spirit is captivating. She lights up any room she enters just with her presence. Semaj is not only sweet and smart but extremely cool and funny. It’s an honor to work with her.” – Kimberly F.
“Semaj has a great attitude, honesty, productivity, and responsibility and is always willing to help her team. Always arrives to work and finishes her projects on time or early.” – Mercedes
“Semaj is of the highest ethical and moral standards. You can always count on her to get the job done in the most efficient & satisfying manner. This is the person you want to advocate for your needs!” – D. Williams
“Semaj is determination personified. Her work ethic is unparalleled.” Marvina N. Robinson
“Semaj Garrett’s tenacity and compassion are unmatched. She is a fierce and resilient defender of justice whom I would trust with my own life.” – Mallory Miner
“Semaj always puts her full effort into everything she does. She listens carefully and critically evaluates the problems placed in front of her. Her bright presence and sharp sense make her a joy to work with.” – Priyanka Thomas
Semaj’s Representative Matters
- Doe v. Florida-based global produce distributor. USDC, Southern District of Texas (2023). Represented the company in a business dispute alleging Section 1981 race discrimination and retaliation, as well as breach of contract and tortious interference. Drafted Motion for Summary Judgment to resolve the matter prior to trial (hearing pending).
- Doe v. Houston-based pallet recycling company. EEOC Charge (2023). Represented a family-owned company in an employment dispute regarding claims of sex and pregnancy discrimination (investigation pending).
- Global heating and cooling supply distributor. (2023). Conducted a workplace investigation on behalf of the company regarding claims of race and gender discrimination, hostile work environment, and retaliation. Resulted in unsubstantiated claims by the Complainant.
- Doe v. Dallas-based national anesthesia practice. EEOC Charge (2022). Represented the company in an employment dispute regarding claims of ADA discrimination, retaliation, and FMLA violations. Negotiated successful non-board settlement to avoid Board-ordered relief and further exposure.
- Dallas-based pool installation company. (2023) Researched current pay transparency and worker’s compensation laws to assist Partner with employment policy revisions and ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
- Doe v. Nationwide leader in telecommunications (2022). Represented the company in an employment dispute regarding claims of race discrimination following company-wide surplus.
- Drafted a position statement that resulted in the EEOC terminating its investigation in favor of our client.
- Doe v. National Insurance Carrier. (2022). Settled a $1M auto commercial policy claim with multiple competing claimants.
- Doe v. National Insurance Carrier. (2022-2023). Deposed and defended numerous witnesses on behalf of the carrier, including corporate representatives.
- Doe v. National Insurance Carrier. (2022-2023). Negotiated multiple settlements through mediation on behalf of the carrier.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 Commercial Litigation – Insurance Law – Litigation – Labor and Employment “Ones To Watch” | 2024
- Academy Fellow, selected by the National Employment Law Council (NELC) | 2023
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
J.D., UNT Dallas College of Law
- Dean’s List Scholar, Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society
- Federal Agency Intern Program Recipient, Dallas Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
- Best Brief and Finalist, Thompson & Knight Moot Court Competition
- Board of Advocates (invitation-only organization for students)
- Sarah T. Hughes Scholar, Dallas Bar Foundation
- L. Clifford Davis Scholar, African American Bar Association of Tarrant County
- J. L. Turner Scholar, African American Bar Association of Dallas County
- Ethics Day Scholar, UNT Dallas College of Law
- Ashely Jones Wright Scholar, UNT Dallas College of Law
- 2020 Most Interesting Person of the Year, Barbara M. G. Lynn Intellectual Property Inn of Court
B.A., University of North Texas
- Bachelor of Science, Criminal Justice
Prior Legal Experience
- Associate, Stewart Law Group PLLC | 2021 – Present
- Law Clerk, McCaffity, Quesada, & Geisler, LLP | 2020
- Law Clerk, National Labor Relations Board | 2020
- Owner Sales Director, Cool Ink, LLC | 2013 – 2020
- ABA JIOP Judicial Intern for the Honorable D’Metria Benson | 2019
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Dennise Garcia & Retired Justice Mary Murphy, Fifth District Court of Appeals | 2018
- DAYL Judicial Intern for the Honorable Dominique Collins | 2018
Semaj’s Associations, Affiliations, and Bar Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Academy Fellow, selected by the National Employment Law Council (NELC)
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, Nominating Committee
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Board of Directors, J. L. Turner Legal Association Liaison
- Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, Associate
- Dallas Bar Association’s Equality Committee, High School Student Mentor
Legal Publications & Presentations
- Playing the Covid Card in Statute of Limitations Disputes – Update on Texas Cases, TADC | July 2023
- Dallas Bar Foundations “An Evening with Arthur Brooks | April 2023
- State Bar of Texas, Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar “Pre-Suit Discovery” | October 2022
- NAMWOLF “Unanticipated Effects of Cannabis Legalization in Worker’s Compensation” | September 2023
- Claims Confidentiality: Plaintiff’s Access to Claim Documents & Ability to Depose Claims Adjusters, Dallas Chapter CPCU Society Annual Meeting | August 2022
- Destination Esquire: Life Beyond the Bar, SWBLSA Academic Leadership Retreat | September 2022
- Unanticipated Effects of Cannabis Legalization in Worker’s Compensation, NAMWOLF Annual Meeting | October 2022
- Pre-Trial Discovery, Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar | October 2022
Semaj’s Community Engagement & Volunteering
- UNT Dallas College of Law Driver’s License Clinic | August 2022
- 9/11 Day Dallas Meal Pack | September 2022
- L. Clifford Davis Expungement & Non-Disclosure Clinic | June 2022 – September 2022
- Pro Bono Veteran’s Clinic | May 2022